Thursday, February 19, 2009

Real Customer Service

For sometime now, I have lusted after a MacBook Air, because it weighs in at a slight three pounds, and it will run both Mac and Windows OS. However, the most powerful, fastest, etc. version of this beauty is almost $2500 new. Whew! So I started haunting the refurbished products at the Apple Store online until one of the super loaded versions became available. Note that Apple's refurbished products are sold with brand new warranties at amazing savings. I found exactly what I wanted for almost a grand less. So I scraped together the money, melted some plastic, and bought myself one for Christmas.

It had a small problem with the screen, but it ran beautifully. So I waited until after I finished THE GIFT to take it to the genius bar at my local Apple Store for them to have a look. Unfortunately, someone there dropped the ball. Even after the genius recognized that, yes, this little beauty needed a new screen, my laptop sat in the store for almost a week instead of being shipped to the depot for service. Being an anxious mother of all my electronics--writers love our gadgets and office supplies--I logged on daily to check the status. Plus, the genius had assured me I would have it back within a week.

When the status kept saying, "pending shipment," I called the store and learned about the snafu. Then I called Apple Customer Service to complain and whine--well, really, why had it sat there for almost a week? I had reached the end of my patience, though I was still extremely polite. Diplomacy is my middle name. :)

Apple is known for amazing customer service. I know this as I'm a longtime, returning customer. What I expected was an apology and expedited service. What I got shocked me. They called the manager of the store where I had taken my MacBook Air and arranged for me to pick up a brand new replacement. In fact, the new one has an even larger hard drive than the one I purchased in December!

I said, "Well, I guess I can't complain about that!"

It pays to be polite. Apple has certainly earned my loyalty, and I will be shopping for a pretty iMac to replace the old Dell PC on my desktop as soon as possible.

Now back to the proposal for what I hope will be my next book, and a possible seque to THE GIFT.

Happy reading, all!

~Deb

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful customer service.

    I love my Apple electronics as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd switch to Apple, but I'm too heavily invested in software, some old and only for PC. Right now, I'm pretty happy with an old Sony Vaio laptop and a Dell Media machine. I've been in computers since the first Apple desktop. Loved my IIE, and since then, it has been a progression of PCs, 2 Sony laptops, and an AlphaSmart, which never ever fails on draft short stuff, i.e. articles. Best of luck with your new machine, Deb, and may it take you into a whole new era of publishing.

    ReplyDelete