Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Top o' the Mornin'

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig
"Happy St. Patrick's Day!"
Though many Pagans believe the "snakes" St. Patrick allegedly drove out of Ireland were actually witches and Druids, it's still a favorite holiday for many of us, because it celebrates all things Irish. My great-grandmother came from Ireland, and lived with my family during my teen years. My memories of her inspired my MULLIGAN series for Berkley/Jove. Visit the site to find an excerpt from Mulligan Stew, a link to a short story I wrote for my readers that takes place between the two books, and also one to Mulligan Magic. Yes, another excerpt there as well. On the Mulligan Stew page, you'll find Bridget Mulligan's secret recipe to her "Bodacious Mulligan Stew." It's a mutation of her downhome, hillbilly cooking and Irish wholesomeness. My family loves it, and this recipe actually came down through my family via my great-grandmother.


Irish Blessing
by Anonymous
Go n'éirí an bothar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú

Translation to English
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

If you've a hankering to visit Ireland in person, I must direct you to All Ireland Travel. A visit to their website is the next best thing to going there. The owners, Kemberlee and Peter Shortland were my research sources while I wrote both MULLIGAN books. In fact, Peter took the photo that became the cover of Mulligan Magic.

Sláinte agus táinte.
"Health and wealth!"


~Deb

1 comment:

  1. I love the Mulligan's, I bet there's more stories that could come from that clan too.
    Happy St. Patty's Day.

    ReplyDelete