Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

I chatted up the meal I am preparing on Facebook, and several people asked for my dessert recipe.  I can't remember where I found this recipe, but I always make a few changes as I go to make it mine anyway.  My apologies to the originator.

Menu:
Hoppin' John (Black-eyed peas for good luck, you know)
Beef roast with garlic and onions
Cabbage wedges braising in the drippings left by the roast
baked potatoes for one person, another gets quinoa
I forgot to put the sourdough bread in the bread machine, but it was in the plans.  I think the Mimosas made me forget. :)

Having grown up in Kansas, I'm not familiar with Meyer Lemons, but now I am!  Yummy.

Meyer Lemon Cake

Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup canola oil (I replaced this with 2 sticks of melted butter for personal preference)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated Meyer lemon zest, divided
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
6 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and grease a tube pan. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

2. In a large bowl, beat eggs together with sugar until combined. Beat in 1 cup of oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1 teaspoon zest, and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended.

3. Gradually beat in flour mixture then beat in sour cream. Pour batter into tube pan and bake 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake rest 15 minutes before inverting and frosting.

4. To make frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon zest and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until well blended. Frost cake when fully cooled and store in refrigerator.

Happy 2011!


~Deb
www.debstover.com

No comments:

Post a Comment