Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 15th

A question I'm often asked when interviewed is why I write Romance.  Well, I was raised by a real hero, and I married one.  Neither one of them ever let me down. 

April 15th is my birthday.  Yes, traditional income tax day, the day the TITANIC sank, and the day Abraham Lincoln died, etc.  I want to go on record that Lincoln was actually shot on the 14th, and the TITANIC struck the iceberg on the 14th.  Okay...?  Just saying...

But April 15th is D-day--the sinking, the dying, the taxes, my birthday, and--just to be consistent--also the day my late husband and I learned his cancer was definitely terminal.  No wonder I always get depressed on my birthday!

Hey, at least it's an easy date to remember.  Right? 

People always ask what I want for a gift, and I always say, "Nothing, thanks."  If they persist, I say, "Just a card."  They think I'm kidding.  I'm not. 

I'm a writer and a reader.  Words mean a lot to me.  If you're here reading my blog, they obviously mean a lot to you, too.

My mom died in 1997.  She's the one who taught me to love reading, and my dad taught me to love history and research.  Mom always went to great pains to pick out meaningful cards for family members for every special occasion. 

Dad has carried on her tradition of sending cards that really mean something, and they never fail to make me cry.  ::sigh::  In fact, I know he takes extra care since Mom died, and also--I think--since my husband lost his heroic battle with cancer in 2005.

There's no question about why my dad is still my hero.  Is there? 

This year's birthday card arrived in today's mail (the day before my infamous birthday) and reads as follows:

FRONT:
Daughter, You are always in my heart...

INSIDE:
I want you to know
that I love you
every bit as much today
as the day you were born.
And though I may not
hold you in my arms
the way I did then,
I always hold you safely
in my thoughts
and in my heart.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Love, Dad

#

Well, it doesn't get any better than that.  Does it?  Where are my tissues?

So, when someone tells you they want a card for their birthday, please bear in mind that they may really mean it....

Happy reading.

Love,
My 3rd birthday with my mom and little brother.

12 comments:

  1. I know more than one person who would just as soon treat their birthday as "just any other day". I"ll have to be better with my cards!
    I hope it's a good birthday anyway Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Deb! I like you much better than I do the IRS.
    I love meaningful cards, too. Ivan always gave me two cards for special occasions--one funny one and one (what he called) a "mushy" one. Dang men, anyway! Miss him, like I know you do yours. Make it a great day tomorrow, and insist on being pampered!
    Janet Elaine Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Few people are bigger heroes than your dad and Dave. I, too, love a good card. I have spent hours in front of the cards looking for the perfect one. And my dad spends hours on his computer (complete with a magnifying glass so he can see it due to Maculear degeneration) creating and printing just the right card. ::HUGS:: from someone who's known you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've told you before: I hope so much that Dave and my father have found each other, both having been US Air Force. I like thinking of them looking down at us and swapping stories about us.

    The world is a better place because you were born, Deb. You touch people in so many ways, and you probably don't even know it.

    I love you, Deb, my sweet sister. -- Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regardless of the date, have a wonderful day.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Deb! Wow, lots of stuff happened on April 15, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, all. Such sweet wishes from sweet people. Yes, Alice. There's more. I'm trying not to think about it.... :)

    Love,
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a wonderful birthday in spite of all the memories that go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe it's been 6 years since your husband's passing. It seems like yesterday that I heard the sad news. While I never met Dave, I feel as if I got to know him a bit through you. He strikes me as having been a very happy person, probably because you were in his life.

    As for April, it's also a time of spring, of renewal, and transition, of new beginnings, and fresh starts. It's a blossoming of nature's wonders with tulips and daffodils sprouting blooms. It's a beautiful month graced with the most dazzling jewels: diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, and rubies....What a splendiferous month to celebrate your birth! May your April birthday bring you a basketful of love, good health, and an abundant writing year ahead! Happy Birthday, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, all. Yes, Vonnie, he was a smiling, happy, friendly person.

    ~Deb, a year older now

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome Dad you have, Deb! Hope your birthday was wonderful. :o)

    ReplyDelete